Avoid Summer Pests With Easy Tips
Summer is a great time to be outside enjoying the sun and beautiful weather. But, with summer fun, comes some pesky pests like mosquitos, bees, ants, hornets and wasps. There are a few ways to keep these pests away so you can play. Landwork Contractors wants to help you enjoy your summer and avoid these unwelcome guests.
Serious Bite Out of Fun
Summer pests aren’t just an annoyance; they can also cause serious problems. Some of the problems caused by summer pests include:
- Increased Asthma and Respiratory Issues
- Allergic Reactions to Stings and Bites
- Damage to Plants and Grass
- Contaminated Food
- Increased Chances of Disease
The best chance of beating these pests are preventing them or catching them early on.
The first step in keeping pests away is preventing them. Here are just a few steps you can take toward preventing insects and pests.
- Remove Standing Water– Standing water is a natural breeding ground for mosquitos. Look out for any empty containers, tubs, holes, puddles or ponds where water might collect and become stagnant. Make sure you remove the standing water and keep water features moving. Install drainage if needed.
- Store Food– Properly store all food, particularly when keeping it outside. Use air tight containers. Keep a lid on sugary substances like sodas and desserts that attract ants, flies, hornets and other pests.
- Stay Clean and Neat– Seal cracks, put food away, wipe down after any event and put lids on garbage cans. Be sure to pick up after each event before insects can pick up a trail. Also, store large garbage bins away from the house.
Keeping pests away from your home or lawn may feel like an endless battle. However, there are some easy and earth-friendly strategies you can use to fight summer pests once they appear.
Citronella Candles: These fragrant flames can help create a soothing atmosphere and keep pesky mosquitos and other pests at bay. Citronella repels mosquitos by providing natural pesticides within its smoke ring.
Torches and Fire Pits: Other sources of fire and smoke also work to keep bugs at bay. Smoke, in general, is a great deterrent for all sorts of pests. Lining torches along your pool or putting a fire pit in the backyard can help keep pests away and keep your yard looking beautiful.
Herbs: Some herbs also have a good track record of preventing pests. Their strong scent is overpowering for many pests. Plus, as an added bonus, you can use them in your kitchen for fresh seasoning later on. Some herbs that repel insects include:
Rose Bushes: Another fragrant option is adding rose bushes. Mosquitos are repelled from rose bushes because of their strong scent. Plus, they’ll be lovely to look at.
Outdoor Retreats Without Unwelcome Guests
Don’t let unwelcome guests ruin your summer fun. Make a few adjustments or additions and live your summer without the fear of pests. Landwork Contractors can help you plan some garden additions, fire pit installations or put in the proper drainage. We can help you keep your summer going strong and your home looking beautiful. Call us today at 914-479-2537 or contact us online. We can’t wait to get you outside!